Adulting

by - 08:08


We all want to move out and be independent. At 17, even though I was away at boarding school, I dreamed of moving out, getting my own place and being independent. I had planned how I’d decorate my flat. Now that that dream has become a reality, I’m a little disappointed. Undeniably, I love it. I have my own space; I can do what I want when I want. There’s no restrictions on bedtimes or what I can have for dinner. Don’t get me wrong, I love it. But, being an adult is difficult.
Budgeting is not something I ever had to worry about. My entire income was completely disposable. I spent money willy-nilly with no regard for savings. That is my number one regret. If I can give any advice to those of you who are not in provided accommodation, save save save! There’s so much junk lying around my wonderful independent flat that I don’t need. I wasted money when I had it instead of saving for when I needed it. I’m not desperate for cash. It’s just that I’m not as comfortable as I could be if I hadn’t bought those clothes online and filled a flat with useless paraphernalia.
My job pays well. I make enough money to look after myself and I have to support of my family backing me up. I just worry that my friends are still living a life of relative luxury, having very little to no bills to worry about meaning they don’t have to be concerned about the numbers dwindling down on their mobile banking app. I know I’m never going to be homeless or starving. If I’m struggling, there are more than a few people I can turn to. As you can probably guess from my strong personality though, I despise asking for help. I don’t want to have to rely on others for money.
Here’s the other issue. Warning, you may want to cringe. I have a wonderful man who treats me like a princess. I want to make him feel like the prince he deserves to be. I know I don’t need to spend money to do that but I do like to treat him nice. We like to do nice things together but I don’t want to have to be checking the bank balance. I’m glad we’re happy when we’re not spending money.
We went out to dinner last night. This isn’t something we very often. Most of our time together is spent in the flat infront of the TV. It’s great and it’s intimate and we don’t have to worry about booking times or places we need to be. That being said, it was nice to go out for a change. Spending time in each other’s company in a public setting is so different from being at home with someone. The restaurant was cute and romantic, the food was delicious and the company was delightful.  All in all, it was a great night and he made me a very happy lady once again.


You May Also Like

0 comments