"Home"

by - 23:35


I am having a hard time at the moment with my anxiety. I felt that over the last 6 months, I'd made a huge improvement and was coping really well on a day to day basis. For this first time in a long time, I could say that, on the whole, I was happy. I think there's a few things that were contributing to this stability that I don't have at the moment and I want to think through them to work some stuff out. Think of this more of a thought exercise for me than an interesting post for you.

People

Since the beginning of second semester, I've found a group of friends I feel I can be as close to my true self as possible with. Obviously, there I'm insecure and tend to hold things back, but I'm less inclined to do that with my current group of friends and I think that's because I've found such a diverse set of like-minded people and have surrounded myself with their positive energy.
Having so many energetic and creative people around me gives me a purpose and an inspiration and drive to take part in projects and activities and, for the first time in a long time, I genuinely get FOMO if they do things that I'm not there for. When I say FOMO, I mean fear that I could be there and having fun and being happy, rather than my old definition of FOMO where I would be n edge that if I wasn't involved in something, I would be forgotten and left behind and nobody would miss me.
Now that summer's rolled around, all of my Glasgow friends have gone home and that tight-knit group has disappeared and it feels a bit like I've lost a safety net. Combined with the stuff I'll mention later, I've found my mood is lower and, because the only people I really talk to now are the two flatmates, neither of which is very talkative, this seems like a downwards spiral.
I absolutely don't blame anyone but myself for the way I'm feeling. That being said, being around someone who actively takes pleasure in pushing my buttons and another who says little if anything is quite draining. Again, I want to clarify that these people are not behaving any differently than they were previously, and that it is my already lowered mental state that is making their behaviour frustrating. I do not blame them at all.
I fear I'm too far down the rabbit hole to pick myself up and seek out healthy companionship. I'm hoping that fixing some of the other aspects of my life will cause this to be less burdensome and hopefully this will resolve itself naturally.

Purpose

I'm no angel. I won't pretend that I spent every day for the last 10 months at uni with my head in the books. I spent a lot of time lying in bed doing nothing. However, right now I'm working 3 half days a week and doing very little else. There's nothing driving me. I don't really have any goals. I sort of feel completely surrounded by void.
At the moment, I'm living day to day, I've stopped making plans for anything more than a few days in advance and the very few plans I do make, I regularly cancel. I think that having some sort of project or goal would make the days fly in quicker.
One of my flatmates explained to me that he enjoys doing absolutely nothing but it makes me more anxious than having a hundred and one things going on. Paradoxically, I feel a lot calmer when I have things to keep my mind active than when I'm sitting in bed all day.
I know I'm living in a city full of opportunity and there are thousands of things I could be doing to keep myself busy but I think its my mind that needs activity more than my body. I'm racking my brain to think of a long term project that requires a lot of thought that can be picked up and put down when I need it to help me de-stress but at the moment I'm drawing blanks.

I think that, come September, this was all sort itself out and I only have a couple more months of this to power through but I'm hoping that I can figure something out in the meantime because the Carrie I am right now is not the Carrie I want to be and I'm not the Carrie I was 2 months ago.

You May Also Like

0 comments